Here in Slovenia, or at least in my family, we have an Easter tradition. There’s alway potica on the table. I think there’s no accurate translation for it but it’s something like north Italian gubana or like poppy seed stollen. It’s a rolled cake, usually filled with walnuts, hazelnuts, tarragon or poppy seeds. I would dare to say that almost every family has its own recipe. So, meaningless to argue the grand masterpiece.
There was a time when I was really into babkas. I especially like how you cut and bride the dough. I made couple of them, but the best was the one with coconut butter, chopped chocolate and pistachios. Coconut butter can always be replaced with some other nut butter, like walnut or hazelnut. More on coconut butter, how to make it and other, here.
- 100 g wholegrain spelt flour
- 200 g wheat flour T400
- 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 10 g fresh yeast
- 15 ml milk
- 50 g softened butter
- 45 g agave syrup or honey
- ⅓ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp rum
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- peel of 1 organic orange
- 130 g coconut butter or any other nut butter
- 120 g chopped chocolate
- handfull of chopped unsalted pisachios (optional)
- Prepare coconut butter: mix coconut flakes at high speed using a blender. It takes about 3-5 mins to make it. You will need at least 300 g of coconut, but definitely more info in the link! You can use hazelnut or walnut butter instead.
- Prepare yeast: mix 15 ml warm milk, tablespoon of agave or honey and fresh yeast. Let double in size.
- In a big bowl mix both flours and salt.
- In a seperate bowl mix softened butter using a hand mixer. Gradually add eggs, agave syrup, vanilla, orange peel and rum.
- Add the yeast and the egg mixture to flours and mix with wooden spatula. When the ingredients start to combine, transfer to work surface and start kneading. Knead for 10 – 15 mins. Starch needs some time to soak up. You should form a compact silky dough ball.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in volume.
- Knead once again than roll to 0.5 – 1 com thick.
- Spread coconut butter and sprinkle with chopped chocolate and pistachios.
- Roll and cut lenghtwise. Bride the two ends and form a wreath. Let rise.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170 to 180 °C for 30 minutes. After first 15 mins cover with damped baking paper and bake for another 15 mins.
This recipe was created as a part of a project for Spar Slovenija and their magazine Dobro zame.